Evening Classes

Where do the classes take place?

The classes take place in the main building at King Edward VII Upper School on Glossop Road,Sheffield, S10 2PW.  In the evenings we use the Independent Learning Centre (ILC ) entrance which is to the right of the big steps when facing the building.

When do the classes take place?

From 7.15-9.00 pm on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays different languages and levels take place on different nights.  Please see the current brochure for which classes take place on which evenings.

Holiday Intensive courses run in June/July each year and take place from 7.00-9.00 pm.

What languages are offered?

We currently offer courses in Arabic, Chinese (Mandarin), French, German, Greek, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian and Spanish.

How do I book onto a course?

You need to complete the enrolment form which is page 5 of the full course brochure available on this site.  You can also request additional copies of the brochure either via email by contacting languagecollege@kes.sheffield.sch.uk or by calling the Languages Office on 0114 2296573 (term time only).  You can pay for each term or pay for the whole year (3 terms in advance and receive a discount).

How do I pay for a course?

You can pay by sending a cheque made payable to King Edward VII School in the post to school with your enrolment form, or you can bring your enrolment form with cash into school to the main school reception.  The main school reception is open from 8.30-3.30 pm (term time only).  Please do not send cash in the post.

We also accept online payments via WorldPay. To request to pay online please tick the box at the bottom of the enrolment form.  We will contact you via email to provide a link to pay with a debit or credit card online.

Do I have to sign up for the whole year in advance?

You don’t have to sign up for the whole year in advance.  You can pay on a termly basis.

What if I sign up for the whole year and I find I can’t attend terms later in the year?

By signing up for the whole year in advance you are taking advantage of our discounted prices, you do this at your own risk and we cannot refund you if you are unable to attend all 30 weeks.  If you are not sure you can always sign up on a term by term basis.

How long does each level last?

Each Level e.g. level 1 lasts for 30 weeks (3 terms of ten weeks).

What if I start a level and decide I would like to move to a different level, can I move classes?

You could potentially move classes once they have started if there are places in the class you wished to join.  We can’t guarantee this would be the case.

When will I find out if I have a place on the course?

We will send out confirmation letters to learners as soon after the enrolment deadline closes as possible.

What happens if the class is postponed due to bad weather or the tutor is sick?

If we are unable to run a class for one of the above reasons we will do our best to rearrange the class for an alternative date in negotiation with the members of the class and the tutor.

What is the maximum number in a class?

Our maximum number is 20 in each class.

Are the classes accredited?

Our main programme of courses are not formally accredited.  If learners attend 60% or more of the course they can request an attendance certificate.

I am not sure which level to join, what should I do?

There is some information about which level to join and what is covered on page 4 of the brochure.  However if you are still unsure and would like some further advice/information please contact us either by emailing languagecollege@kes.sheffied.sch.uk or by calling the Languages Office on 0114 2296573 (term time only).

Where can I park when I come to the classes?

Parking is available on the school site in the evening.  There are entrances to the school on Glossop Road and Newbould Lane. However please note it is not possible to cross the whole school site in a car e.g. if you enter the site via the Newbould Lane entrance you will need to park at that end of the site.

What do I have to bring to classes?

Please bring a paper and pen to your class and if you have one a bilingual dictionary.  Your tutor will advise you regarding other textbooks or course materials.

What if my question hasn’t been answered in the information above?

If you do have any further questions please don’t hesitate to contact us either by emailing languagecollege@kes.sheffied.sch.uk or by calling the Languages Office on 0114 2296573 (term time only).